Buda Chamber of Commerce, Buda Texas

New Resident Guide
Printable version of New Resident Guide here.

Driver’s License:

Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS)
1400 IH35 N., San Marcos, TX

For the most current information on Texas driver’s license, please go to: www.texasonline.com

Social Security:

Social Security Office
900 E Bugg Lane, Suite 200 San Marcos, Tx 78666
Ph # 512-396-3972

Vehicle Registration:

Hays County Tax Office
102 No. LBJ Dr., San Marcos, TX


Tax Assessor/Collector
500 Jack C. Hays Trail, Buda, TX

New residents in Texas, unless they are in the military, must change their vehicle registration to reflect their new residency. Thirty (30) days is allowed or until gainfully employed (whichever comes first) to change your vehicle registration. To be registered, a vehicle must have a Texas safety inspection. In order, to transfer an out-of-state vehicle to a Texas title and get Texas registration, the owner must have a green identification certificate. This form is issued at the safety inspection station. Subsequent registrations may be handled by mail or at the Buda Justice of Peace office.

Schools & School Registration

Superintendent’s Office: Ph.512.268.2141

Information on local public schools and school registration procedures for the Hays Consolidated ISD can be obtained from the school itself or you may call the superintendent’s office. For enrollment in Hays CISD the student will need a birth certificate, immunization records, social security number, as well as any records from previous schools attended (last report card and transcript if available.)

Voter Registration
: Ph.512.393.7310

To register to vote in the state of Texas either on a local or national basis, you must be an American citizen and be at least 18 years of age. Registration consists of filing out a Voter Registration Application and returning it to the Hays County Election office in San Marcos, Texas. (Applications are pre-addressed.) It takes 30 days from the date of the application before you are eligible to vote. For more information on who the elected officials are call the Hays County Courthouse # listed above.

Local Utilities:

Electric: Pedernales (PEC)1.888.554.4732
Water & Sewer: City of Buda 512.312.0084
Gas: CenterPoint Energy 800.427.7142
Texas Gas Service 800.700.2443
Cable: Time Warner 800.418.8848
Telephone: Verizon 800.483.4000
Time Warner 800.418.8848


Printable version of New Resident Guide here.

Print This Page Print This Page

Coming Events